Get ready for swizzles, twizzles, and triple axels. Not quite there yet? That's OK, too. At The St. James, we tailor our skate programs to unique abilities and ambitions.
Freestyle Figure Skating times are available at The St. James starting January 4, 2021.
• Monday 9am-1pm
• Tuesday – Friday 9am-2pm
• Tuesday and Thursday 6am-7am
• $20 per hour for skater and $20 per hour per coach
• All registrations are hourly
To reserve time, please contact The St. James at (703) 239-6870.
This progression-based program helps develop confidence and actualize proper technique for recreational skaters, figure skaters, speed skaters, and hockey players. We also love teaching those who are getting onto the ice for the first time.
The St. James Skating Program utilizes long-term athlete development principles as its framework for educational programming, team formation and training, and support for each child and his/her family. These principles can be used as a foundation on which to make existing systems more successful and training more consistent. Used by almost all national governing bodies of sport, the Long-Term Athlete Development model (LTAD) is one of the most successful in the world.
The St. James Skating program falls into three categories.
Recreational Learn to Skate
- Learn to Skate for Beginners classes introduce skating in a safe, encouraging environment that develops the preliminary coordination and strength needed to move on the ice.
- Learn to Skate School Programs focus on safety and fun through creative games and obstacle courses—making class time an enjoyable experience while developing technical skills.
- The Learn to Skate curriculum was designed by three Olympic national governing bodies: U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey and U.S. Speed Skating.
After skaters have mastered these basics, they're ready to move on to figure skating, hockey, or recreational skating options.
- High quality group instruction in 11 skating disciplines
- Educational sessions including warm-up routines and stretching, boot and blade education, good eating habits, skaters mental preparation and more
- Instructional events with certified judges and technical specialists
- Daily freestyle training sessions, ice dance and synchro sessions
The St. James Difference
The St. James' skating program features excellence for all ages and is delivered through:
- Personal instruction for all ages, skill levels, and disciplines
- Training groups for technical skills, agility, and focus
- Camps and clinics with proven strategies and modern learning techniques
- Competitive teams and tournaments
- Open rink time for individuals and families
- Two, NHL-sized rinks
- Skate rentals and sharpening services